Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Learning to be a Man




Homeschooling is a LOT of work - A LOT! Some days I question whether it is really worth the myriad of hours in planning and teaching, the utter lack of "me" time, or the tension of being with your children ALL THE TIME. Other days I know why I persevere. God has been showing me verses about pouring yourself out for others. In one passage in Isaiah God promises that your light will rise in the darkness and your gloom will be as the noonday. This particular passage is referring to pouring yourself out for the afflicted, but I think it probably applies to pouring yourself out for your little ones, too. After my bout with depression, this makes a lot more sense to me. Depression can focus your thoughts so inwardly, so selfishly, that you forget how to pour yourself out for others. But the very cure for that depression is looking out, not in. Homeschooling is one way I can pour myself out, and indeed, my gloom vanished.

OK, OK, my title didn't allude to all that, and I didn't mean to get contemplative, but it just came out. I intended to use this post to show one of the lovely benefits of the flexible schedule that comes with homeschooling. Eric was trying to dig out a stump on his day off. Andrew hurried through his math assignment, so he could help his Daddy. Learning to be a man is more important anyway, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is.

    It's funny. Our first week back to school I thought to myself..."how do I always forget over the summer how hard this is to juggle?"

    But sooooo worth it :)

    ReplyDelete