Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sugar Cookies




I was a bit too overwhelmed this Christmas to make our usual sugar cookie cutouts, but we did manage to bake and decorate the store bought cookie dough:-) Decorating is the fun part anyway, right? We made these cookies on Christmas Eve. That evening we went to our church's Christmas Eve service, drove around and looked at lights, came home and watched "Twas the Night Before Christmas." It's a little animated show that my sister and I loved when we were kids. You might remember it, too. It's the one where the little mouse wrote the bad letter to Santa, and Santa boycotted the town until Mr. Trundle made a huge clocktower singing beautiful music beckoning him back. The little mouse also broke the clock, and it wasn't until the last minute that he got it working and Santa showed up and all was right with the world. Funny, we don't even celebrate Santa in our family, but I still love this little show. Childhood memories, I guess. Gabe, who is 3, saw a picture of Santa this year and asked, "Who is that?" I thought that was just awesome. I don't profess that it is either right or wrong to believe in Santa, so I am not throwing any stones. We just chose early on that we were going to do our best to keep the focus on Jesus, and Santa just didn't fit in that picture. When we had the big family Christmas gathering, Hannah jumped in Uncle Stephen's arms and told him about Jesus in the manger. Better that a 3 year old can tell you who Jesus is but isn't sure about Santa, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment