Saturday, December 26, 2009

Hannah's First Christmas - memorable for us all






I had written some profound and moving thoughts in my prayer journal about the incarnation of Christ that I thought I would might use for our Christmas post. What happened on Christmas morning changed my approach - not that those moving thoughts didn't really impact me, but a lighter post is needed to tell about Hannah's first Christmas morning.
We told the kids they couldn't come out of their rooms until 7:00 a.m. 7:01 finds us all in the living room getting ready to pray and pass aroundthe gifts. And then we see them, hundreds of little bugs crawling on the floor under the tree, down the hall, everywhere! GROSS!!! It turns out our tree was infested with conifer aphids that had apparently hatched by the hundreds to greet us on Christmas morn. I guess some of them had been there all along hiding inside the tree because we kept wondering why our tree was dripping sap. It wasn't sap, it turns out, it was "honeydew" made by the aphids themselves.

Well, we did manage to enjoy our gift opening and Eric made breakfast while I vacuumed up as many of them as I could. After breakfast, we promptly put the kids in front of a movie and Eric and I undecorated the tree. As soon as the ornaments were off, Eric had to empty the water basin with a turkey baster since we had to lean the tree over to get it out the door. He was underneath the tree and being covered up by these little bugs. We were both so grossed out that it became downright hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard in many, many months. Once we could tip the tree, out the door it went - lights on and all. Eric drug it straight to the curb where he removed the lights and took a few pictures. So disgusting! So by 10:00 am, the tree was out the door and many of our Christmas decorations were put away. I decided to go ahead and just undecorate - why prolong the chore for days? We left the outdoor lights up for a few more days.

Our Christmas meal and lighting of the Christ candle had to wait until dinner. Eric and I worked hard all day, cleaning, cooking, but by evening we had a nice Christmas dinner, advent ceremony and got the kids to bed on time. We watched a funny movie and had a memorable Christmas day.

I have been vying for a nice pre-lit artificial tree for a few years. I think I
just might get it now...... All things work together for good......

No comments:

Post a Comment